Section 504 and College Masthead Image

Section 504 and College

Unlike elementary and high school, when students enter college there are no educational team meetings where school personnel and parents collaborate to determine the educational accommodations a student needs. Further, there are no 504 plans either. Instead, students must work with the Office of Disability Services to develop an agreement that documents the accommodations the student will receive.

In most schools, it is the student’s responsibility to inform faculty and staff of their disability, the disability’s effects on his or her education, and the educational accommodations that will address those effects.